Every year Ranger Dave and the Outside Lands folk add something unique to the festival. In the past, for example, we have seen the addition of mainstays like Choco Lands and the GastroMagic Stage. This year we get the gift of classy booze in the form of Cocktail Magic, an imaginative way to showcase some of the best cocktails in the Bay.
Cocktail Magic will be located opposite of Choco Lands on the north side of the festival in the trees.
There is so much happening at every moment during Outside Lands, so why should you make time for Cocktail Magic? We put together five points to help you make your decision:
- There will be actual magic at Cocktail Magic. While the emphasis is obviously on the cocktails, visitors will also be treated to some sleight of hand and boozy illusions. I’m not sure exactly what to expect, but we know that magician/illusionists Jon Armstrong, Simon Coronel and Karl Koppertop will have some tricks up their sleeves.
- Some of the Bay Area’s best cocktail bars will be on hand showing off their creations. The participants are 15 ROMOLO, ELIXIR, FORGERY, PRIZEFIGHTER and TRICK DOG, with each serving two of their favorite cocktails. With temperatures only expected to reach the 60s, lets hope a couple of the bars choose to make some delicious hot toddys.
- These are the best drinks money can’t buy. For some reason you can’t pay for drinks at Cocktail Land unless you register your wristband and put “bison bucks” on your wrist. So if you haven’t put any money on your wristband, this might be a great time to do so. While this is a bit of a pain, at least you won’t have to worry about losing your cash. More info here.
- Apparently the bars and stage setup were designed by David Korins Design, who also designed the set for the musical Hamilton. I am going to go ahead and confirm an exclusive performance of Hamilton at the Cocktail Magic stage this year.
- The centerpiece of Cocktail Magic is the mysterious “Cocktail King.” This nine foot tall art installation comes equipped with glowing neon and a cocktail shaker. I predict this edifice will have his own creepy cult following by Sunday.
Check out Cocktail Magic this weekend and let us know what you think.